Alexandria, Virginia, office of Morgan & Westfield, Business Brokers and M&A Services
At the Alexandria, Virginia, office of Morgan & Westfield, we provide our business brokerage services exclusively to our local communities, specifically the communities that make up the region of Northern Virginia, Maryland and the Washington, D.C., area. Some of these communities include:
- Virginia: Alexandria, Groveton, Newington, Mason Neck, Woodbridge, Dale City, Southbridge, Lake Ridge, Minnie Ville, Canova, Springfield, Burke, Clifton, Manassas, Wellington, Gainesville, Sudley Springs, Catharpin, Centreville, Annandale, Fairfax, Chantilly, Merrifield, Vienna, Tysons, Herndon, Reston, Wolf Trap and Arlington.
- Maryland: Waldorf, Willbrook, Piscataway, Windbrook, Delight, Malcolm, Ashbox, Croom, Rosaryville, Clinton, Largo, District Heights, Mitchellville, Bowie, New Carrolton, Hyattsville, Greenbelt, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Calverton, Fairland, North Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, and Gaithersburg.
Our business brokers have more than 100 years of accumulative experience in facilitating business sales throughout this region. By utilizing this experience and the understanding of the local marketplace that it gives us, we average more than 100 successful business sales every year in this region. The companies that our business brokers have sold locally range in value from $50,000 to $100 million. These companies vary in size and industry, but they have all been sold successfully.
Reasons for Selling Through a Business Broker
Business owners often wonder why they should sell their company through a professional business broker. After all, you can technically sell your business privately. But, just because you are allowed to do something doesn’t mean that you should. In fact, it is in your best interests to sell through a professional broker as opposed to personally selling your company on your own. Some of the reasons why you are better off selling your business through a professional include:
- Protection from Innocent Mistakes: Because business owners are not usually accustomed to this type of sales process, innocent mistakes are common. You may forget to complete or file some paperwork, misread the market, over- or undervalue your company, inadvertently misrepresent something or forget to complete some of your contractual obligations. These mistakes, while innocent, can have a disastrous impact on the sales process. They can cost you time and money, and in some cases, they can even nullify an already agreed upon deal. But our business brokers have the experience and expertise necessary to prevent these mistakes and ensure a smooth sales process.
- Privacy Protection: You cannot just put a signup or take out an ad in the newspaper to sell your business. Selling a business requires discretion. Customers, suppliers, competitors and even employees should not know about the sale until it is completed. Your ability to have a successful sale may depend on maintaining this confidentiality. At Morgan & Westfield, we can ensure that your business will be sold confidentially.
- Time: Business sales take time. There are many technical details that must be properly addressed, and this can be very time-consuming. Because sellers are also busy operating their business, they often do not have the time to devote to this process. This leads to mistakes and a prolonged sales process. Because our business brokers facilitate local business sales full time and we are not running your business’s day-to-day operations, we have the time to devote to properly addressing every aspect of your company’s sale, thereby expediting the process.
- Price: The vast majority of businesses that are sold directly by their owners sell for far below their market value. There are many reasons for this phenomenon, and they can all be avoided under the guidance of a professional business broker. We can connect you with higher quality buyers, help you to more accurately price your company, assist you with the negotiation process and ultimately help you sell your business for a higher price.
- Long-Term Success: Sales that are completed without the assistance of a professional business broker are often unsuccessful in the long term. These deals are poorly structured, incorrectly financed and in many cases destined to fail. These issues lead to nonpayment, legal battles and a general failure for the overall sale. Failure to sell your business in a way that is successful in the long term can turn your dream of selling your business and moving on to the next stage of your life into a nightmare. Given these stakes, you should always get professional assistance when you go through the process of selling your business.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
If you are a business owner in the area of Northern Virginia, Southern Maryland or the Washington, D.C., area and you are considering selling your business, our business brokers at the Alexandria, Virginia, office of Morgan & Westfield are here to help you. We will guide you through the sales process and do everything that we can to make it easier for you. We will also help to expedite the sales process and ensure a successful sale. Our business brokers will accomplish these things by providing you with continuous guidance and by utilizing our more technically focused business brokerage services. To learn more about our services and how they can benefit you, contact our office and schedule a consultation with one of our business brokers. These initial consultations are completely free and confidential, so you have absolutely nothing to lose. To schedule your free consultation and learn more about how we can facilitate the successful sale of your business, contact the Alexandria, Virginia, office of Morgan & Westfield today.